This is the detailed process to ThinApp MS Visio Standard and Pro 2010 32-bit. This is based on having Office 2010 installed locally on the production image. This includes SP1 and SP2 for Visio. It can be packaged on Win 7 or Win XP. Win XP worked better for me. I am using ThinApp Capture v5.0 but v4.73 can also be used.
The Visio install package includes an MSP file with MAK licensing. This process should also work for KMS licensing. The base OS needs to be clean with no software installed and no additional .Net frameworks.
Most of this process is documented in the following blog post:
ThinApp Microsoft Visio and Project 2010 while locally installed Microsoft Office 2010 I had to make a few changes to get it to work for me.
1. Use WinXP or Win 7 VM to Capture
2. Copy visio std 2010 install, thinapp files, visio sp1, sp2 to capture VM
3. Open Control Panel set all OS region settings to English UK
4. Disable Network for VM in vsphere client – edit settings of vm and untick network card
5. ThinApp Prescan
6. Install visio – Microsoft_Visio_Standard_2010_V1.EXE
7. install SP1 – visio2010sp1-kb2460061-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe
8. Install SP2 – visiosp2010-kb2687468-fullfile-x86-en-us.exe
9. Agree to restart VM only if prompted by the SP installer
10. Do not open Visio or this will break the MAK licensing when the Thinapp is complete
11. Open cmd as admin run the 2 below commands
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPREARM.EXE
net stop osppsvc
12. Run Postscan
13. Select Merged isolation when the window appears
14. Chose only the visio exe as the entry point and untick any others
15. Skip build and open project
16. Move the OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform folder from %drive_C%\ Users\All Users \Microsoft (Win XP – %drive_C%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Microsoft)
to %Common AppData%\Microsoft
17. Set the following folders to MERGED by editing the ##ATTRIBUTES.INI in the root of each
(create folders if they don’t exist)
18. Set the following folder and subfolders to WRITECOPY (all folders need an ##attributes.ini file set to writecopy)
%Program Files Common%
19. In PACKAGE.INI uncomment the line:
Add these line directly below:
20. Rename the dll in the path below:
%Program Files Common%\microsoft shared\OFFICE14\MSO.DLL to MSO.DLL.OLD
21. Download the Visio Keys file Visio_RegKeys Add the entries to the top of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.txt and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt Save the files.
(make sure there is 1 space between each line)
22. Add the following lines below Compression section in package.ini
23. Uncomment the Permitted groups line in package.ini and add the SID for the Visio AD group as shown below
24. Move the following folders out of the project and into the support folder:
%drive_C%\Users (Win XP – %drive_C%\Documents and Settings)
25. Click build project and then test the ThinApp.
26. This will activate on first launch and take about 30-60 secs to load. After the first launch it will load a lot faster once the sandbox is created.